Friday, May 23, 2008

SOILS 497A: The, drive, the flight, the arrival

Reached the airport on May 20th to find that my flight had been canceled due to storms. I would be delayed at least a day....

As an alternative, US Airways got me a British Airways flight out of Dulles. I then rented a cae from the State College Airport and drove to Dulles. Got there about 1 and found a hotel room. Slept for three hours and got up at 4:30 to get to the airport.

It was a nice surprise to find out that the US Airways attendant had switched me also to Business class! Posh, comfortable....while I would never be able to afford to fly that way on my own, I highly recommend it. Unfortunately I fly back on US Airways.

I reached Edinburgh at 10:45 PM on the 21st to find my bag was still at Heathrow. Apparently you are supposed to completely exit, pick up your bag, and go back through and chenck in with British Midlands to continue WITH your bag. Due to security BMI will not load a bag not loaded by a passenger. So it was my fault my bag did not make it. Arrggghhh.

So I was lucky enough to get my trusty rental (Chech Skoda now made by VW) and dove to Stirling. Practiced with the lefty manual in the airport lot awhile and then threw myself into the roundabout lost. Drove around it once, twice, and then pulled into the Hilton to get directions. Finally made it to Donald's house in Dunblane (north of Stirling) at 12:30 AM on the 22...night.

Next day I met Donald's wife who was a former school teacher in Dunblane. She no works at a day care in town. Interesting story about the arab land owners later. The gardens at their house are magnificent. Photos later. They are also cat owners!

Donald gave me a briefing on the area soils and geomorphology after breakfast (I got up at 9:30AM), checked on my bag that was arriving in Edinburgh at 12 PM. and then we went on a driving tour east of Dunblane and Stirling to look at some of the areas of the Flander's Moss.

The bag was supposed to be delivered to the house that afternoon before we left, but I could not get an exact time from the delivery service so I eneded up driving to Edinburgh to pick up my bag. Finally we were reunited! Upone arriving back in Dunblane, I drove up above Donald's house and saw a large pheasant and a pair of lapwings near the Sheriffmuir Inn.

No comments: