Monday, May 26, 2008

SOILS 497A: Stirling..finding student accomodations and examining the city

Today, my primary goal was to scout the city and the accommodations for students. The two options for the students are the housing in a campus dorm or the youth hostel. The Hostel is downtown by the old jail and down the hill from Stirling castle. The dorm is nearby to town and grocery as well (John Forty's Court).

Stirling is a very old city with an extremely important location in Scotland due to being a corrider near a river and the Highlnds and lowlands. It was not bombed in WWII and thus it's buildings are largely intact.

A highlight of my walk up the hill was Stirling Castle, which was the most strategic castle for many tears in Britain and home to Robert the Bruce.

My work that morning as involved meeting with some of the staff and students of the micromorphology laboratory at Stirling. This was for my own benefit as a researcher since I have received little training in this important area of soil science; I am self taught. What I did learn during this meeting was immensely helpful and will be very beneficial to my lab's work. A special thanks to George MacLeod for spending so much time with me.

No comments: